I think that everyone knows that a longer school day is in CPS future, but we need to plan an enriched program. Consider including a second language, voice, instruments, or drama instead of more teaching to the test. Students need to be engaged not just have the day lengthened and their homework load prolonged. My child does homework from 4:00 until 9:00 and a longer day would rob my child of a life outside of school.
1. Physical education must be offered daily. Every homeroom should have PE once a day. It would replace the need for recess. Health Education should be mandated as part of the PE teachers' responsibilities.
2. Art/Music/Foreign language should be required for every child K-8 at every school. Art can be for 1 semester, Music can be another semester and foreign language should be all year long.
3. An assistant principal/dean of students should be given to every elementary school.
4. Extended care provisions for before and after
5. Teachers/staff should have a minimum of 70 minutes collaboration time/preparation time per day without students
6. Teachers/staff get 30 minutes uninterrupted to eat lunch.
7. All meetings are held through webinars to save time, gas, parking, etc.
For the extra ninety minutes students should learn another language fluently. Being bilingual is an asset in the global village. Immersion is a good method.
Many thanks to Mr. Emanuel and Mr. Brizard for making education in Chicago a priority.
I would like to see the following:
-more specialized education
- core classes (math, Lang arts/reading, science, social studies) lengthened with emphasis on forward movement instead of homework review
-recess and any necessary breaks reasonably needed.
I would like to add that needs vary school to school and implementation should be individual. With all due respect to teachers, our local and global economy will only allow a finite monetary reward. Please help us create a stimulating and progressive education for our kids.